Whether moving within the state or relocating somewhere far away, you have options — use pod containers or hire a moving company.
Both options have their pros and cons.
Renting pods is more of a DIY method. You plan everything, load your stuff, and do all the work by yourself. It saves a ton of money. On the other hand, employing a moving company is a more convenient option. All you need to do is to sit back and enjoy the ride. But what about the cost?
Cost: Pods vs. Moving Companies
To give you an idea, here’s a quick rundown.
When moving locally, costs for container pods can range from $300 to $1000. It depends on the size of your move and the number of containers you rent. For long-distance relocation, pods can cost anywhere from $500 to $7000 depending on how far they’re getting shipped. Fees typically include fuel, mileage, and short-term storage.
As for moving companies, the average cost for local moves is $1250. This estimate is based on moving a 2-3 bedroom capacity. Moving long distances can cost you $700 to $5000 for standard trips, while far-off destinations range from $4000 to $10,000.
Pros and Cons: Container Pods
Before diving into the list, you need to know how moving pods work.
First, you book a move, and then the company drops the pod at your place. When you’re ready, they pick up the container and deliver it to your new home. From there, you will have to unload and unpack your belongings. Once you finished setting up, the company picks up the pod. Easy!
So, what are the pros of renting pods?
- Easy to use and more affordable.
- Like hitting two birds with one stone, you can use pods as a moving container and storage facility.
- Most companies allow you to utilize pods for 30 days. As a result, you can take your time loading your belongings and move at your own pace.
That’s pretty neat. What about the cons?
- Exhausting. You have to do the packing, loading, unpacking, and unloading on your own. That’s a lot of work.
- You might find it challenging to park in urban areas or overcrowded spaces.
- It might take you longer to move.
- High probability of damage to fragile and antique items.
- You have to provide your packing materials and moving supplies.
Pros and Cons: Moving Companies
As stated above, hiring a moving company makes it easier for you. Just book a date for your move, and the movers will come to your place to pack everything for you. You don’t have to worry about anything.
But to be specific, what are the advantages?
- You won’t need to do any heavy lifting. Hurray!
- The company will provide materials and moving supplies.
- Fast, efficient, and reliable.
- Significantly lower incidence of damage to items.
- Less stress. Movers can even provide specialized services such as packing valuable furniture.
Movers seem to be favorable, but what about the disadvantages?
- More expensive. You’re paying for the labor as well as the truck and materials.
- Time constraint. Since the movers follow their schedule, you don’t have much control over your move.
- Several issues may come up, such as rescheduling, cancellations, hidden fees, property damage, and moving scams.
The Final Verdict
Many factors must be considered when you relocate — the size of your move, the distance you need to travel, the fragility of some items, etc. You need to take all of these into account in choosing between container pods or movers. There are various circumstances where one is better than the other.
Ultimately, it all comes down to your budget and willingness to put effort into your move. Good luck!